Sunday, October 12, 2008

Doing More with Less, While Giving you the Same

In order to reach my desired career goals, I do not need any more education, and I definitely do not need the added stress. Nevertheless, my motivation to change my work role remains a major component of enrolling in Franklin's MCM program. However, the program itself raises motivational issues that drive me to do my best, and challenge myself.

This is what Ken and Professor Param Shah refer to as achievement motivation. Although I stand to gain from completing the MCM program, I am not required by my current or ideal workplace to do so.

Motivation within my current work space varies drastically. While some associates are entirely in-trinsically influenced, others are solely motivated by extrinsic factors. Management in my office seems to prefer Jeremy Bentham's metaphoric theory of "The Carrot and the Stick." By using the promise of reward and punishment, the majority of the associate's motivations are captured.

However, Abraham Maslow's assertion that people have a need for self-fulfillment and accomplishment is not always employed by the managers in my office. It may do these leaders some good to realize that employees are not always looking for the monetary reward. Sometimes, simply hearing "Good job" is all it takes to effectively motivate one to continue to do their best.


References

Shah, K. & Shah, P. (n.d.) Motivation. Retrieved July 10, 2007,
from http://www.laynetworks.com/Motivation.html.

tutor2u. (2007). Motivation in theory - Maslow's hierarchy of needs. Retrieved June 4, 2007,
from http://www.tutor2u.net/business/people/motivation_theory_maslow.asp.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Hi Wes - good for you to choosing to continue to learn (although it's not necessary for you to accomplish your career goals). Isn't is great to take on the opportunity to know yourself better? Your supervisors would be foolish not to recognize your MCM degree - so although it might not be needed, I bet it would be a nice Ace in the hold when necessary.

Hooray for Wes!

Cat said...

Great example and photo nice work.

Cat